Compiling SNNS (Stuttgart Neural Network Simulator) or using v.4.2binaries

Did anybody recompiled successfully SNNS 4.2 with Cygwin/X?
Its home page is at
  http://www-ra.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/SNNS/

I firstly tried using SNNS 4.2 binaries with latest Cygwin/X as X-server, but something wasn't working in the user interface (couldn't select some menu list entries), so I decided to get sources at
http://www-ra.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/downloads/SNNS/SNNSv4.2.tar.gz
and try recompile them.

Beside a few #define missing (that I properly fixed) seemed that the configure
script was running fine, infact I can run the application, and now all the
menu lists do work, but... when loading even an example configuration file I
get syntax errors in file, and after some clicks, trying opening other
windows, crashes.

Note that I already used successfully on Linux some years ago, so not new to
program usage.
And yes, I know that JavaNNS does exist...

Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.

Lou

-----
Note: one 'h' is more than enough, in my e-mail address (spam prevention)