xwin on cygwin - cannot connect

Hey list,

I'm new subscriber, but have been reading the threads - let me say that
there's been a lot of helpful tips towards the a problem I'm having -
I've gotten further but not quite there.. so I'm askin for some help.
Apologies if this has already been covered..

I've got cygwin on winxp machine - can't connect to the X server.  When
using xwin.exe :0 -query <host> the checkered screen quickly comes up
and then disappears.. Anyone know whats happening?  Also I remember
someone mentioning that X shouldn't be running on the linux box when
trying to connect.  How do I stop this as the login screen loads up
everytime I boot up?  The machine is running slackware.  I'm pretty sure
there's communication since tcpdumps show some responsive port 117
traffic..  Any help is appreciated, I'm new to linux so I'm not sure
what to look for..  Thanks in advance.