Running Windows on Linux (Re: How to configure a windows machineas an X client?)

Thai,

I don't know if you can do it the way you said it. However....

On the linux server (or a linux workstation) you could run a program such as Wine, Crossover, or VMWare which allow you to run linux programs on the linux server (and thus from any X client connected to the linux server). There are a couple different fundimental types of these programs and I am not competent to give you information. However, see:

http://www.winehq.com/

http://www.codeweavers.com/

http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

I have some notes (about a year old) that may or may not be accurate.....

1) Install and run the MS Windows application using WINE. You then run the applications directly in Linux letting the wine layer "translate" MS Windows API calls into native Linux API calls. This is great but the "translation" is not 100%. Especially for newer versions of MS Windows and especially for extremely MS dependent stuff (eg. Quicken which leverages a lot of MS DLL's like IE's DLL). It seems to work reasonably for most well-written DOS/Win95/98 level programs.

2) Install Crossover ($59 - price may be old) which expands and enhances the WINE environment such that a lot more MS Windows apps can run and they are easier to install. Eg. They have improved it enough to install and run the MS Office suite, MS IE, Outlook, Quicken, etc.

3) Install VMWare ($300 - price may be old) which provides an clean "PC in a window" upon which you can install your favorite flavor of MS Windows. When you open the "PC in a window" (aka VMWare session) it "boots" MS Windows and you install your software just as you would on a stand-alone MS Windows PC.

Hope that helps.

Jay