Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll

Jack Tanner wrote:
Harold L Hunt II wrote:

It works fine in Windows 2000, but they broke it horribly in Windows XP when they "extended" it to ignore certain directories and types of files. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops and enable the indexing service in order to get it to search all files in XP. So, the results of the utility cannot be trusted in XP.

What's wrong with Start, Search, All files and folders, Look in Local Hard Drives? I just tested it on XP SP1, it worked well. Doesn't it get around what you describe if you click "All files and folders" instead of "Pictures, music, or video" or "Documents"?

Nope, doesn't work, at least not in the cases that I use the most, but might not be entirely relevant to the discussion at hand. The case I am referring to is when you are searching for text in a file, which is a little different than what we are talking about here. In that case, you have to configure the indexing service specially and turn it on in order to be able to search through .c and .h files (and all the other files a programmer would use) without having Visual Studio .NET installed (which I think installs handlers that allow some of these file types to be searched.

The overall point to be taken home here is that you can't trust the search facility in XP unless you are prepared to ask people if they have done things in a very specific way *and* you are prepared to trust their response to those questions. It ends up being a huge waste of time when you could instead run a command-line search and be done with it.