Keyboard auto-repeat defaults when using 'xwin -query <host>'

I have a odd problem with the keyboard auto-repeat setup.

I have two verions of cygwin/xfree installed on two different win2k
computers and the problem is the same on both.  One has the latest
cygwin/xfree (just downloaded) and the other has a version from a
few months ago.

I have searched through the mailing list archive and see that a
similar problem has been reported before but it isn't exactly the same
and I don't see how to fix the problem anyway.

I am connecting from both these win2k systems uisng 'xwin -query
<server>' to a linux Slackware 9.1 system on my local (home) network.
I have also got another X server available to me, X-Win32 but I'd
prefer to use cygwin as it's free and otherwise I keep having to pay
for upgrades to X-Win32.

The problem is that when I connect using cygwin/xfree the auto-repeat
is set to silly values, if I do an 'xset -q' I get:-

auto repeat:  on    key click persent:   0    LED mask:  0000000000
auto repeat delay:  100    repeat rate:  10

That auto repeat delay is much too short.

On the other hand when I connect using X-Win32 I get:-

auto repeat:  on    key click persent:   0    LED mask:  0000000000

with no 'auto repeat delay' value at all, i.e. X-Win32 doesn't seem to
have attempted to set the auto repeat delay or repeat rate at all and
thus I'm left with the existing keyboard settings which are fine.

It would appear that cygwin/xfree *is* setting the auto repeat delay
and speed whereas X-Win32 isn't.  If it is setting these where are the
default values?  If it isn't then what is going on?

I know I can fix it by using 'xset' but this seems a bit of a bodge,
I'd rather do it properly.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)