Re: New XFree pages: "cygwin.com/xfree"

Don,

Here are installation and use instructions:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-xfree-ug.html

Don V Black wrote:
Have you tested the new X webapge?
Specifically, have you tested the X-windows
download?

Of course.

I tried the download & install.  All I got was the
non-X-windows Cygwin.  I then re-installed from
the cygwin/X page selecting 'install' for ALL the
pacakges.  I got a few 'dll not found' messages
during the install.  When finished, I could not
find any files whose names contained 'xstart',
starx or 'xfree' either via WIn2K File Search, or
via Cygwin's locate command.

You must have missed this line:

Whether or not you already have Cygwin installed, you can add Cygwin/X to your installation by downloading the latest setup.exe, running setup, and selecting the 'XFree86-base' package from the 'XFree86' category.

Tons of irrelevant information was removed from the Cygwin/X home page to make the installation information more readily visible. I don't think we have had a report of the home page being confusing in over a year.

Also, the "X Window System" link does not work,
and there is no avenue to report these problems.

Thanks. That just needs to be www.x.org. I'll fix it later.

I am trying to access Linux XFree86 from my Win2K
system (without using VNC or XWin32). I had hoped that
cygwin/X could handle this.  However, I cannot even install
it.  Both of your "Install" links go to the cygwin.com home
page. Can you direct me to documentation that will instruct
me on installation of a form that will allow me to run an
X-Client from Win2K?  Thanks.

No, both of the install links go to http://cygwin.com/setup.exe, which is the installation program. The text in the page clearly says to grab the XFree86-base package, which will select all dependent packages.

There are two ways to access remote machines, via XDMCP or via ssh, both of which are documented for Cygwin/X in the User's Guide:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

There is also a sample startup file to be used for XDMCP connections:

/usr/X11R6/bin/startxdmcp.bat

I hope this helps,