Re: X11 Selections

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Kensuke Matsuzaki wrote:

Alexander,

and we still need Xlib to convert the selection into the desired format.

Which conversions are these? Can they be done by other libraries or by using
connection idependent code from libX11 (which could be staticly linked)

Conversion text encoding between compound text, UTF-8, Unicode and locale encoding. lib/X11/lc*.c contain those code. Maybe some part of those conversion can be done by iconv. But as far as I know, gnu libiconv doesn't supprot compound text.

I think a lot of those functions might be connection independent. I was looking at them last night and they do a lot of processing within Xlib, but they don't make calls to the server. Thus, they should not need a connection.

I lied, these functions make use of XInternAtom, which requires a display connection. However, there may be various ways of hacking this. For example, we could pre-register any used atoms when our X Server starts up and use our pre-defined (or at least accessible without a client connection) atom values in place of a lookup via XInternAtom.

I have not looked further into the problem yet.