fatal IO error 104 on start

Hi All,

I just installed cygwin on my work machine, but am unable to start the X server.  Each time I try (using startx), I receive the following error:

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by perr) on X server ":0.0"
        after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I searched the archives and saw that others were having the same problem at the end of November/beginning of December, but no solution was offered.

I downloaded the packages from a couple of different sources this morning, but none of them produced different results.  Other than the few times that I've installed the software this morning, cygwin had not been on this machine previously.  (It's a new box.)

Does anybody know how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Greg Jewell