Re: Configuration for multiple monitors

Jack,

Jack Tanner wrote:
Ãyvind Harboe wrote:

perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be an option at all?

No, I'd like -nomultiplemonitors to exist.

I have two monitors, but the second is usually turned off. Various X client dialog boxes and application windows usually come up in the center of my desktop, which means half on one monitor, and half on the other. If that weren't annoying enough, it makes life sheer hell when one monitor is turned off!

This is why I do not use -multiplemonitors, even though I /have/ multiple monitors. Even when both monitors are turned on, it's plenty to have one for X apps, and another for regular Windows apps.

That is pretty much why I would want to make sure we have a -nomultiplemonitors switch. In fact, we should finally look into a system to allow the user to specify which screen we should start up on. That would be nice.

Granted, the real solution to this issue would be to play nice with nVidia's nView software. It offers these modes for dual-monitor work (the following is copied verbatim from nView on-line help; the mode I use is Dualview, which I believe is nVidia's default):

Well, I have an nVidia graphics card now, but you'll have to contribute to the fund to buy me a second matching Samsung SyncMaster 191T flat panel if you expect me to be able to work on this :) At the momement (read: for the last three years) I have only one monitor.