RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1 graph program -- building under cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?

>In fact, it took about 8 hours;

Well I am not going to even begin to discuss how much time I have just
spent trying to get the minor tick marks to point the other way from the
major tick marks, of which only the first 10 minutes was actually
changing the tick marks code in the Grace source.

Who said debugging free software was a thankless task?

0.93.91-6 - Nope. doesn't work. Since I had to go looking for a mirror
with newer updates (mirror.ac.uk doesn't have the  new stuff yet) I also
found a newer build of Grace, 5.1.14-1 and the stock install crashes
(where the old one did not) The internal help shows it was built with
0.93.91

Something I would really like to understand: why should the 5.1.12 build
with the older LessTif NOT crash when running with the newer LessTif
libraries installed? If the bug is in the LessTif function and the
(shared object? dll?) is the buggy one, shouldn't it crash?

0.93.94-1 - Grace Compiles but does not run. The error:

Error: attempt to add non-widget child "DropSiteManager" to parent
"xmgrace" which supports only widgets
Warning: XmManager ClassInitialize: XmeTraitSet failed

Harold: Hope you are feeling better soon and good luck with the  degree;
thanks for trying the build.

Detective work of my own: According to the source package I downloaded
from cygwin.matrix.com.br (only one I found that seems to be updated
with the source) for lesstif-0.93.91-6, the file where the bug happens
(SeparatorG.c) has only been patched up to 1.25 (October 6) but the bug
was not fixed until 1.26 (Nov. 27) (see copied messages below)

I am going to try patching the source and building 0-93-91(patched)
myself, but I have not had very good luck so far building any packages
under Cygwin (Grace is the only one I tried so far!) , so it may take
even more than 8 hours. All for those stupid little tick marks :-()

--Robert

 Revision 1.26 - (download), view (text) (markup) (annotate) - [select
for diffs]
Thu Nov 27 19:13:06 2003 UTC (7 weeks ago) by dannybackx
CVS Tags: release_0_93_94, HEAD
Changes since 1.25: +3 -3 lines
Diff to previous 1.25

Auch - this bug was not yet fixes. Fixes bug # 849599.