RE: non-widget child "DropSiteManager" error (WAS: RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1 ... )

Dear Brian and other list people:

Why am I trying to build it myself?

Because the distributed package (0-93-91-5)  seems to cause another
problem, even the version that Harold Hunt patched (0.93.91-6) using
Danny Backx's fix for the bug I encounterd a few months ago, and have no
idea why it still crashes. I cannot find out in any more detail unless I
run with a debug-compiled version.

Is there another way to get a debug-compiled version other than building
it myself?

Harold's test-version of 0.93.94 seems to have this problem (non-widget
etc.) (if it really is from lesstif) and he says it causes problems with
nedit as well, so it is not a true release. But I am building a
0.93.91-6 without changes (at first) just to find out exactly where the
crash is coming from, but get this (different) problem.

Please see the archived thread on 'Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1 ... ' for
much greater detail on this (including backtraces, etc)

I certainly realize that a 'properly built' lesstif is what I want, in
what way is my version not 'properly built'? That is essentially what I
was asking in the first place! However I followed Harold's directions
exactly without trying to patch it or even debug it (at first) and I
have this problem.

How do I distinguish whether it is not 'properly built' or not 'properly
updated'? Which is the problem?

Can you provide details on what constitutes a 'properly updated'
lesstif? I got the source from 0.93.91-6 (one line different from
0.93.91-5)

Can you build xmgrace from source and then get the axis properties
dialog box (double click an axis) to open without crashing? (Note the
release 5-1-12-1 package binaries are compiled with STATIC libraries
from an earlier version of lesstif and do not crash.)

Thanks for your help
Robert