RE: XWIN problem

Kelly,

The problem with address 0.0.0.0 is known and there is a fix; however, no one implemented it until now because they (no one here) were too busy discussing the proper way to implement the fix. Well, I just went and did and and blocked the address 0.0.0.0 from being sent to the remote machine (which it then tries to connect back to. The reason that 0.0.0.0 shows up in the list of addresses for your laptop is that Windows returns 0.0.0.0 for any interface that is unconfigured. A lot of laptops have a wireless card now; if that wireless card doesn't have an address (or the wireless does but the wired does not) then you have a 50-50 chance of 0.0.0.0 being sent as the first address in the list. XDM servers are dumb, so they try to connect only to the first address in the list, then they give up if that address fails (not much point in sending a list then, eh?).

I will be posting an updated version of the XFree86-xserv package later tonight after I can verify that this fixes the problem without introducing any obvious problems.