Re: Notes on adding accelerated OpenGL support to Cygwin/X

One note Harold on this....

You'll find that a lot of OpenGL drivers that are used on Windows are
seriously lagging behind in support for the hardware. That's because
a lot of vendors don't bother updating support for OpenGL directly
and are more interested in Direct3D.

Just run a native 'glinfo' application and you'll see that ATI and nVidia
are pretty good in this area and provide very up-to-date OpenGL drivers.
But others aren't so great.

Apparently SciTech (Kendall Bennett) donated some code (a driver) for Mesa
that allows it to accept the OpenGL commands from the client and call
the equivalent Direct3D counterparts thus providing hardware that has
a more capable Direct3D layer much more benefit.

I think Karl Schultz on the Mesa list has the code and is integrating it,
but I don't know the status. You may want to contact him.

You won't need this to get started though, but it's certainly worth
investigating once you've got an initial implementation.

Alan.