Cygwin Xterm window hangs when drag selecting on a Win98SE PC

I successfully installed Cygwin/X (on Jan 28, 2004) on my Win98SE (with
latest patches) PC. I execute startxwin.bat, which starts up an xterm
running bash. It works great until I drag select a portion of the screen.
When I click in the screen again, unhighlighting the selected area, the
window hangs (mouse pointer does not move and I can't type in it). I have to
ctrl-alt-del to kill it and restart the window and the X server. I checked
the Cygwin and Cygwin FAQs and User's Guides, and searched both of their
mailing list archives, but didn't see anything directly applicable. I
downloaded setup.exe, and installed everything after setting all packages to
"install", not "default". The installation proceeded without incident. I
added the -clipboard to the Xwin invocation so I could copy between the
xterm and Windows applications. This had worked for a few days, but now I
can hang it with the first drag select/unselect. I tried cygcheck -s-v-r,
but it seemed like it would never finish. Trying just -s, it seems to take a
long time to find each application (cp, cpp, find, etc.), so I killed that.
Any thoughts on what might be my problem? Thanks in advance.

I also tried C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xwinclip.exe, to see if it would run,
thinking I would remove the -clipboard switch from xwin, but that wouldn't
even start up, not being able to find cygcygipc-2.dll. But, I see it under
cygwin\bin. Do I just add this path to my DOS path?

Content of
start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard
run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -fg green -bg black -geometry 120x40 -e /usr/bin/bash