different resolutions on different monitors

I am using 2 monitors, one with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768. When I start the X server using the -multiwindow option then start an app (such as xterm) the application always opens in the top corner of the smaller monitor at a point where the top of the window is off the screen. I can't get to the title bar to move the window so in order to see everything I have to tile or cascade the windows which is a pain. Is there some way to set the default location on the screen the windows open?

Thanks for the help.

-Chad