Re: Sound Support Cygwin/X

Gerhard Zweimüller wrote:
I am using a Linux box and connect to it my Windows XP
notebook as X-Server running Cygwin/X. I connect with
XDMCP and it all works fine. After login when KDE is
starting up I see a message that the /dev/dsp device
could not be initialised.

Firstly, I think that this is a permissions problem.
Take a look at /dev/dsp and make sure that the user you log in as has permissions to write to this device. This is usually done by adding the user to the "audio" group or something similar

Is it true, that Cygwin/X does not support sound "forwarding"? Are there any other solutions?

I have not gotten XDMCP working properly (you are further along than I am) but I am fairly sure that if you can get esound or arts to "forward" the sound you can figure out some way to get it through the XDMCP session.

LB