Re: X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdriveusing damage extension?)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:

> Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > I'm looking at the diff now.
> >
> > Wow, there have been a lot of changes in cvs since you took the snapshot.
> > The diff is quite big *g*
>
> I think it's better you run the diff in respect to
> the original XFree86 4.3.0 version.
>
> > Looks like the required functions from libX11 were directly included?
>
> It's a hack and I wouldn't consider it a long-term
> solution. Anyway it permits us to ship the X server
> without the Xlibs and their dependencies.

wouldn't it be better to link with a static version of libX11?
Anyway, the solution with including the libX11 code into the
tree has already been discussed and we decided not to use it.
This only introduces new places where bugs can hide.

> There should be also a similar hack to handle the
> clipboard in a way that it doesn't loose the select-
> ion. I've seen a similar solution in recent versions
> of cygwin-xfree.

thats why I asked.

bye
	ago