MultiWindow Mode: stty speed = 0 on xterm cause rlogin to fail

Hello everybody,
it's some time I'm using Cygwin and XFree and I feel very satisfied with both them.

Until today, I always have used the rootless mode + wmaker (which I like very much). Anyway this morning I tried to switch to the multiwindow mode.

Having customized the "contextual" menu of wmaker, I wished to port those menu items into the XWin menu modifying .XWinrc.

I have unable to do that, because most of those menu items are xterms that rlogins toward HP-UX machines, and they do not work anymore into multiwindow mode.

The problem seems related to the stty speed parameter.

In effect opening an xterm within rootless mode I can see from stty that the terminal speed is 38400, while opening the same terminal from multiwindow mode I see that the speed is 0 (the same does not happens for rxvt for which stty always reports 38400).

Searching Google I found that Speed == 0 means "hang up" for some machines (e.g. Sun or HP-UX). A solution suggested by this Google search was to modify /etc/profile adding something like that:

	if [ -n "$DISPLAY" -a "$TERM" = xterm ] ; then
		stty 38400
	fi

In effect this modification solves the problem for rlogins launched manually by an xterm, but I does not affect at all commands inserted into .XWinrc (they look like "xterm -e rlogin machine -l user").

I tried several ways to put the speed to 38400 for those menu entries but I have always failed.

Is there a way to do that?

Ciao,

Danilo

-- -------------------------------------- Danilo Turina Alcatel Optics OND Network Management Rieti (Italy) - Phone: +39 0746 600332 --------------------------------------

2 anni 10 mesi 16 giorni 1 ora 1 minuto 7 secondi