Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-47 copy/paste trouble and BadAtom.

Alexander,

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

Virgilio, Vincent wrote:

when using ssh and X-forwarding (now with ForwardX11Trusted = yes)? It
looks like I have cookies in the right place. xauth report the same ones
on both the local and remote machine. Though, I have gnawing concerns
about the host part of the display name in those cookies; the
(alphabetic) cases do not match. Hum. I should try to share cookies
again (xauth extract, scp, xauth merge).

It is an issue how the xserver handles untrusted clients. Until openssh
3.8 all clients forwarded by ssh were trusted by default. Now they are
untrusted by default.

Wow, good thing I haven't commented on this yet. I upgraded to OpenSSH 3.8 when it came out and since then have noticed that all of my ssh connections (even those done by cvs) were enabling X11 forwarding by default. I thought this was interesting, particularly since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes. I was just about to describe how this change was made in OpenSSH 3.8 and how I am really smart because I am the only one that noticed it... then I realized:

1) My ssh_config is modified to enable X11Forwarding (I don't have to use -X, but I always do because I had forgotten that I changed this default).

2) I had installed SFU 3.5 at about the same time that I upgraded to OpenSSH 3.8. Turns out that SFU 3.5 adds DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 to the global environment variables.

The combination of these two meant that ssh was acting as if it was getting passed a -X and it had a valid DISPLAY value at all times, so it was enabling X11 forwarding at all times.

I was wondering if this change in behavior meant that our multi-window window manager would be unable to connect to the server when an ssh session had been opened on the local machine already. I did some testing but was not able to cause this to happen. In any case, my great ideas for what was causing this problem are useless :)