Re: Could not open default font 'fixed'

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Jeff,

Jeff Wolkove wrote:

I had the above error when I attempted to run startxwin.bat. The FAQ says
I should nudge the mailing list so here I am nudging. Does anyone know
of a fix for this error? Let me know if you need any further details.

Yes, we all know the answer, but it looks like it took me quite a long time to get around to updating the FAQ :)

There is now a detailed answer were there was previously a request to
nudge the mailing list by 2003-01-31... I hope I mistyped that as 2003
when it really should have been 2004.  It would be a little silly if it
really took longer than a year to revisit this issue.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

Harold

Harold,

FWIW, you should be able to simply re-run any one of the
/etc/postinstall/XFree86-f*.sh.done scripts... :-)
    Igor

I don't understand, please explain. Harold

Harold,

First, all the postinstall scripts for XFree86-fnts, XFree86-f100,
XFree86-fscl, XFree86-fcyr, and XFree86-fenc are the same -- that's the
"any one of..." part.

Right.

Secondly, umount is already part of these scripts, and there should be no
need to reinstall the package just to re-run the postinstall script, hence
my suggestion (to just re-run the script from the command line).  Of
course, if any of the font files are corrupt then reinstallation *is*
needed.

Sure, umount is part of those scripts, but I want my instructions to work in all possible cases. I could think of some weird instances where someone had removed the postinstall scripts. In any case, I don't want to depend on those scripts being there.

The second part of your answer indicates that you don't fully understand
the problem.  See, it goes like this:

1) You have an invalid mount point in the registry that points to
nowhere for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

2) You have setup.exe install the fonts packages.

3) setup.exe extracts the fonts packages according to the mount points,
thus extracting the fonts packages to *nowhere*.

4) You do not actually have the files from the fonts packages on your
system.

5) You have to kill the invalid mount point, then resinstall the fonts
packages in order to actually get the files.

Weird, eh?
Harold

Eek.  You're absolutely right -- I didn't think of this...  However, there
still should be no need for a "umount" in the instructions, as executing
the postinstall scripts during the first install should have pointed the
mount to the right place already.  A simple reinstallation of the fonts
packages should suffice.

A simple reinstall has been shown to not always work... just search the mailing list archives. It is sort of a Catch-22 situation. Trust me, I spent a lot of time thinking about the different scenarios that have tripped people up, and I want to leave the instructions in the "most likely to work" state rather than in a "fewest possible steps" state. I want it to work right the first time, everytime, and I don't want anyone having the steps fail then asking on the mailing list for us to explain this again.

P.S. Unless explicitly deleted by some program or by the user, the scripts
will be there.

That is what I don't want to count on.

Additionally, I am simply not comfortable writing step-by-step instructions for running the post-install script. You are making it sound easier to describe in spoonfulls than I think it is. I think you'll find that describing it in a bullet-proof manner will lead to a list of caveats three times longer than my simple umount instruction. For example, you would have to put in a caveat for if they last updated their fonts before a certain date, in which case they would not have a postinstall script at all.

We are wasting a lot of words on a issue that is already sufficiently addressed. If you really want it changed, write the step-by-step instructions for it, convince me that they are easier and more reliable, and I will change it; otherwise, lets drop it.