Re: Upcoming X.org release and splitting packages

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

We will soon (possibly next week) be releasing a new version
of all Cygwin/X packages built from the source code tree
managed by X.org and hosted on freedesktop.org.  This will be
a very good thing since all of the Cygwin/X developers will
be able to stay in sync with the exact code that is in
distribution via CVS, compared to our current system today
where the code in distribution has many differences from that
in CVS.  The rebuild won't mean much to end users: all
libraries remain binary compatible with the current packages
and the contents of the release (programs, etc.) will be
almost identical.

What are the main differences between it and XFree86 4.4.0 ?
Are things like XTerm 185 included, or everything that goes to
XFree86 can't to X.org ?

I don't know about XTerm 185 specifically, but this release should contain all fixes and features that were added to the XFree86 project's source code tree for the 4.4.0 release.

2) Split the "bin" package into at least a few pieces (but not too many
pieces):

2a) "bin-dlls" will contain the .dll files only.  This would allow
packages like emacs or xemacs to depend only on bin-dlls instead of on
the entire bin package which includes programs not used by emacs nor xemacs.

Maybe do the same for Lesstif ?

Heh, one thing at a time. :)

2b) "bin-lndir" would contain the lndir utility.  lndir has
no dependence on X libs and can be used by any programmer for
non-X projects.

Nice. lndir is very useful when a /path/to/configure options
doesn't work as expected due to lack of Automake support or
brokeness.

Yup, I use it all the time for that.

2c) "bin-apps" would contain all other applications
originally contained in "bin" but not contained in "bin-dlls"
nor "bin-lndir".

I thought you'd split it more, like only adding what's really
essential, and move xbiff, xclock, xedit, xman, etc to a
separate package. But how to know what's essential ? And I
guess imake, makedepend, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config, etc could
go in "devel" ?

Well, I am debating whether or not to start going down this slippery slope... two or three category types of packages may be okay I suppose.