Re: Cygwin/Xfree on second (low res) monitor

In the abscense of anyone shouting 'nooooooo - you fool!' I commented out lines 244, 245 of wincreatewnd.c and recompiled.

I was shocked and surprised to find that the hack worked. I'm now going to familiarise myself with the code a bit more before suggesting how this feature could be implemented better. Any hints on why the lines are there in the first place would still be appreciated.

cheers

Saul

Saul Cozens wrote:

Hi,

I've been playing with Cygwin/XFree86 for a few day now - and frankly I'm astounded - it's great! However, I have one little query that I hope someone can help me with!

I have a dualhead video card in my Win2K box with monitor-1 set to 1280x1024 and monitor-2 (an LCD screen) set to 1024x768. I wish to have my Win2K desktop on monitor-1 and the KDE desktop (started via XDMCP) of my Debian/Linux box on monitor-2. With CygwinXfree86 I could then move between the environments so quickly and easily that my head would spin!

Now I thought that I would be able to achieve this by doing
xwin -screen 0 1024 768 -query linuxhost -nodecoration -clipboard
and moving the resultant window to monitor-2, but xwin seems to ignore the screen resolution when '-nodecoration' is set. This was confirmed when I looked at the source code
wincreatewnd.c 229-233
/*
* User gave a width and height but also said no decoration.
* In this case we have to ignore the requested width and height
* and instead use the largest possible window that we can.
*/
The same seems to be true for -rootless and (obviously) -fullscreen, And as -multiplemonitors is intended to allow the Xwindow to occupy BOTH monitors I'm stuck!

So can anyone tell me why (before I try osmething stupid like simply removing this override and recompiling) or simply tell me another way to achieve my dual desktop dreams!

many thanks

Saul Cozens