Re: W2K Terminal Services and multiple users running X

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >>I'm pretty sure you would still be messed up by batch files not having
> >>the concept of assigning the output of a program to an environment
> >>variable.
> >
> > Well, the point was that the NT command subset *does* have this concept.
> > The syntax would be something like (this prints it, but you get the
> > point):
> >
> > FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('dir /b /o:-d') DO @(IF NOT DEFINED notfirst (echo %%G & call SET notfirst=1))
>
> Huh... I have never heard of this being supported in NT's cmd.  Are you
> sure that you can actually get the value stored into an env var?

Yep.  Try it (from the command line):

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('dir /b /o:-d') DO @(IF NOT DEFINED val SET val=%G)

%val% will be set to the name of the last modified file in the current
directory.  Of course, for the batch file we'll use "%%G" instead of "%G".

> >>There is a hack you can sort of do, which I have done, which
> >>is to have your program generate a batch file that sets the value of an
> >>env var, then CALL that batch file from your original batch file.  Of
> >>course, this do nothing to solve the mutli-user problem since you would
> >>have to know the name of the batch file that was assigned, which is a
> >>nice Catch-22 back to the problem of not being able to assign the output
> >>of programs to an env var.
> >
> > As mentioned above, we may need to resort to this hack for Win9x.
> >
> >>I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible unless we had XWin.exe launched
> >>directly, then have it pre-process, write out to a temp file, and run a
> >>specified batch script.  Sounds kinda weird to me and like just using
> >>shell scripts would be easier and less to maintain.
> >>
> >>What do you think?
> >>Harold
> >
> > Nah, we probably should just call a shell script on Win9x...
> > Fortunately, we can test the output of "VER" to see if we're on Win9x...
> > Unfortunately, if we do go to the trouble of writing the shell script, we
> > might as well use it everywhere.
>
> Possibly.  It might be a good idea to have a pure batch solution
> available so that people could adapt it if they had good reason to.  The
> default should probably just be a shell script though.
>
> Harold

Yes, but then the default batch should check the OS and bail out if it's
Win9x/ME.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/