Re: uxterm from xterm-185-3 and xfontsel crashing when running under cygserver support

On Mar 25 08:10, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried to find some information about the BigFont extension. This is
> from the X man page:
>
>        XF86BIGFONT_DISABLE
>               Setting   this  variable  to  a  non-empty  value  disables  the
>               XFree86-Bigfont extension. This  extension  is  a  mechanism  to
>               reduce the memory consumption of big fonts by use of shared mem-
>               ory.
>
> So I tried the following. I enabled the cygserver service again and set
> XF86BIGFONT_DISABLE=1 in my environment before starting up XWin. And
> voila, xfontsel and uxterm are working properly. So there's definitely a
> problem with the shared memory support of cygserver related to the
> BigFont extension.

Did you read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygserver.README?

I guess you know that there are a bunch of settings you can change in
/etc/cygserver.conf and also that cygserver has a debugging option, right?

So, have you tried to debug this situation?  For instance, is it possible
that the bigfont extension tries to allocate more shared memory than
cygserver is by default restricted to?  The default values (which are not
arbitrary but taken from the defualt BSD settings) are:

# kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs: Maximum pages available for XSI shared memory.
# Default: 8192, Min: 1, Max: 32767
#kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs 8192

# kern.ipc.shmmni: Maximum number of shared memory segments, system wide.
# Default: 192, Min: 1, Max: 32767
#kern.ipc.shmmni 192

# kern.ipc.shmseg: Maximum number of shared memory segments per process.
# Default: 128, Min: 1, Max: 32767
#kern.ipc.shmseg 128

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.