Re: window manager running already

Okay - I was  having this problem as well, after updating.
What you should do is check if you have an .xinitrc in your home directory.
As shipped, older versions of cygwin would runa  full screen x, with no
window manager, and as such - you would have to run one yourself like
wmaker.  This would then be added to your .xinitrc file.

The new X is configured with a window manager system which embeds windows
onto the MS Windows desktop - quite neat when it works - but it means that
by default, you do not need another window manager. So you probably need
to remove the window manager lines from your .xinitrc, and possibly even
remove that altogether if it has nothing else in it.

Regards,
Orion
--
OrionRobots.co.uk - Robots from Sol to Sirius.
http://www.tiscali-network.co.uk/orionbroadband/services/ - Broadband and

--"Frank Schaefer" <frank_r_schaefer at gmx dot net> wrote:

Updating to 1.5.9-1 causes problem under WinXP and Win98 when trying to
'startx:'

"window manager already running"

while none is actually running. I was not able to figure out how
'X' comes to this conclusion.  Is there a file that can be deleted.
The only other reason I could think of is that we started an
'X -broadcast' session. However, this too has been terminated.

Thanks for any help.

Frank