RE: Cygwin/X11 forwarding ques.

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> There have been ideas to implement this with mirror video adapter drivers
> like utravnc uses them or with the x11drv from wine. But the last time i
> looked into it (esp. the wine x11drv driver) i found it nearly impossible
> to build it without spending a half live on it.

Yet another status update:

- UltraVNC Hook DLL is closed source and even the binary must be used with
  UltraVNC only.

- The SetDDIHook function which was mentioned several times on the WinVNC
  mailinglist is vanisched from MSDN.

- The Screen Drawing Data Pump (SDDP) which was mentioned as a successor to
  SetDDIHook is not documented by Microsoft either. It was part of the MSAM
  (Microsoft Accessibility Methods) and i could not find any references and
  working links to documentation.

- UltraVNC has mentioned some other VNC products which use a less advanced
  hooking mechanism then UltraVNC but this is still worth a try (if it is
  open source).

- Windows Longhorn will drop the old device drivers and use only DirectDraw.
  I guess with this change a new framework for hooking screen drawing is also
  introduced

- Building a new device driver which uses a lot of functions from x11drv
  from wine will most likely be the best aproach.

If anybody has more information about these topics I'd be glad to receive
them.

bye
    ago

NP: Velvet Acid Christ - Haunted