Mouse drag + leave window oddity...

First, I'd like to say how happy I am to be able to use xorg's -multiwindow mode, so I can get rid of Labtam's XThinPro (and exceed, ReflectionX and whatever else I've used in the past). Great job! I'm superhappy!!!

Next, I use W2k and startxwin.bat with "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard"

In e.g. xemacs (or xterm), use the mouse to select some text. Hold and do not release the mouse button yet. Now with the mouse button depressed, move the mouse out of the window e.g. onto the MSWindows desktop, and release the mouse button. When you move the mouse back into that same window, the window will behave as if the mouse button still was depressed. Moving the mouse button around (without any mouse button pressed) behaves as if button-1 was still pressed.

Hereafter the behavior differs in xterms and xemacs:

In an xterm, clicking the mouse button will change the behavior from the above described to behaving normally.

In xemacs (where I spend most of my time) the mouse behavoir continues to be a little odd. Some kind of "selection" is fixed at the time of the next click, but the red cursor continues follows the mouse (as if the mouse button is still pressed) until I press CTRL-g. I say "selection" because in xemacs normally I only have one selection at a time. But this selection is weird in that it persists even when another selection is made. In fact there seems to be no way to clear this selection except kill-buffer + find-file or kill (the odd pseudo-selection) + undo. (This is kinda difficult to describe, but not so difficult to actually do... :-D)

In summary, it appears as if some mouse-release event should be implied automatically when the mouse leaves a window. (At least when compared to how Windows works or how XFree-86 works under Linux and KDE.)

Ok, so some may say that the test case itself is odd... :-D But I find that I see these symptoms sometimes, and it is confusing when it happens. I'm not quite certain whether this is the only way to trigger it, or indeed the way I myself trigger it, but I see the symptoms above once in a while during normal use, and I've found this test case reproduces the symptoms reliably. Anybody else aware of other ways to trigger it?

Is this a known issue? If not, is there a bug report somewhere I should fill out?

Regards,

Peter

pvmXP@pvm:~> cygcheck -c -d | egrep 'xorg|xemacs|xterm'
xemacs               21.4.15-1