Re: xterm-186 build bustage

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> If anyone wants to help me with something, grab the xterm-186 original
> source (google for 'xterm', you'll find it), grab the -src package for
> our xterm-185 package, copy and rename xterm-185-*.sh to xterm-186-1.sh
> and try 'xterm-186-1.sh mkdirs && xterm-186-1.sh conf &&
> xterm-186-1.sh'.

Harold,

Didn't you mean the last command to be 'xterm-186-1.sh build'?  Also, this
will only work if a) you unpack xterm-186.tar.gz by hand prior to running
the commands, and b) you have "." in your ${PATH} (but those are nitpicks
and easy to figure out).

> You'll quickly note that 'X.Org Foundation' is somehow
> getting into CFLAGS as a raw string, causing gcc to bork.  It seems that
> this may be somehow caused by macros in xterm's configure scripts that
> copy the CFLAGS set by the imake configuration files.

WFM.  I just built xterm.exe (and resize.exe) with no errors using the
above recipe.  Did I, by chance, grab the wrong source tarball?  I got the
one from <http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.html> (direct link:
<ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.tar.gz>).  FWIW, that tarball
contains no occurrences of "X.Org" anywhere.  Also, if it matters, I used
xterm-185-4.sh.

However, with the CVS version I did get a "too many decimal points in a
number" error.  I suspect it's a quoting issue -- XVERSION should have
been defined as a string, and it was missing the quotes.  An extra level
of shell invocation probably stripped them out.  I'll investigate...

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu