Re: mysql command line client hangs in cygwin xterm

On looking into this, it seems that mysql including its client is compiled with cygwin. It is an old version, and this may explain the problem.

I will look into this further, when I get a chance to download the "beta" version of mysql, which I assume is compiled against a more recent version of the cygwin.dll.

Richard

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:47:59AM +1000, Richard Piper wrote:
>The problem seems to be well described in the general cygwin mailing
>list.  As yet I have not seen a solution.
>
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg01457.html

Yeah, that was an interesting email.  It was nice to see that someone
agreed with my assessment of the problem.  It is always a relief to hear
that I do know what I'm talking about from people who don't quite know
what they are talking about.

As I mentioned, the easiest solution is to always use cygwin built
programs if you want to run a program on a cygwin pty.

The logic that there had to be a solution to this problem because it
affects so many programs did escape me, though.  I'd be very happy to
see someone find a way to fool programs into thinking they are running
on a console when they are using a cygwin pty but the fact that it is a
serious problem doesn't mean that there is automatically going to be a
solution to the problem.

cgf
--
Richard Piper

Web: http://icu.rnsh.org
Mobile: 0438-120860
Sydney: 9926-8617
Kippax: 6550-5117
Email: rpiper@med.usyd.edu.au

GPG key ID: F6DFFB33 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
Key fingerprint: 3FB8 8355 3AAA 84C3 D548  8FFF EFDB C6B5 F6DF FB33