Procs never die after closing rxvt

If I close rxvt w/ the X button in the titlebar, the programs that I
pass to it on the commandline continue running.  After a while, I end
up w/ dozens of tcsh and bash processes hanging around.  What am I
doing wrong in the invocation of the terminal?

Here is my little BAT file that I am using to invoke shells:

@echo off

rem This program lunches the shell specified as the first argument in
rem a rxvt terminal.

set DEFAULT_SHELL=bash
set PATH=C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;%PATH%;.
set SHELL=%1
set DISPLAY=-display 127.0.0.01:0.0
set GEOMETRY=-g 140x50
set BG=-bg black
set FG=-fg white
set ARGS=%DISPLAY% %GEOMETRY% -sr %BG% %FG%

if "%1" NEQ "" goto :READY
       set SHELL=%DEFAULT_SHELL%

:READY
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe rxvt %ARGS% -e %SHELL

Invoking the shell as a login shell doesn't seem to fix this either.
If I close the shell w/ C-d or by typing exit, both it and rxvt will
close completely.  This is fine because I know to do it, but others at
school who will be using this script wont necessarily know to exit the
program like this and I don't want to end up w/ a bunch of runways on
our boxes.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. TIA.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer