Re: using xfree86 4.4.0 from remote host

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Oleg Leschov wrote:

> What is the difference between XFree86 4.4.0 binaries for cygwin and the
> cygwin X packages?

Cygwin/X uses sources from X.org. The sources are very close to the XFree
4.4.0 release but differ in some points.

> Is there any info on why XFree86 is removed from cygwin?

Some people in the XFree Core team were not very cooperative when we asked
for direct CVS access which would have help us to remove a big obstacle
in development.

> Do the cygwin packages support font server usage? I want to use
> font packages and font server running on the linux box which lacks the
> video card.

Yes. Use the -fp tcp/fontserver:7100 commanline switch.

> I am currently trying to use XFree86/cygwin 4.4.0. Maybe I would have
> been more successful with cygwin stuff?

Are these packages from the Xfree86 site? The Cygwin/X project never
release XFree86 4.4. The last release before the change to X.Org was
XFree86 4.3.

> The problem is that I can't use the X server from the remote host. I
> have tried "xhost +<remoteIP>" and "xhost +" on the windows machine
> running xfree86. Both succeeded, but the remote says the same thing as
> before -
> Xlib: connection to "10.0.5.1:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Error: Can't open display: 10.0.5.1:0.0

Check http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.html
Using remote access is described in detail there.

> Log file does not says anything useful.
> I am running X by just starting XWin.exe, having /etc/X11/XF86Config
> with following contents:
> Section "Files"
>
>     FontPath "tcp/10.0.5.5:7100"

The xorg-11 xserver does not use the XF86Config file any more. Use the
-fp commandline parameter:

XWin -fp tcp/10.0.5.5:7100 [other options]

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de