Re: Differnce between Xfree and Xorg

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2004, aroushdi wrote:

I am a little bit confused I see here that we have moved to Xorg distribution . I took a look at XFree.org and it seems they have Binaries for Cygwin till 4.4 .

These binaries are likely to be very outdated. We moved to X.org because it was easier for Cygwin/X developers to get cvs access there. XFree only allowed cvs access for a few people from the core team. We had
to ask them to include the changes into their cvs. As a result the XFree cvs was always a few weeks up to some months behind the Cygwin/X development.

The cygwin part from XFree may now be about 7 or 8 months old. Many
improvements (eg for multiwindow mode or clipboard support) have not been included into the XFree cvs.

My question is Xfree going to be abandoned in favor of Xorg . What is the relation between the 2 . The reason I am asking because since the move to Xorg binaries i cannot have more than one Xsession at a time .

You can start the first Xserver as usual
XWin [options]
and the second with
XWin :1 [options]
the third with
XWin :2 [options] and so on

This results in display names :0.0, :1.0, :2.0 ...

bye
	ago
Alexander , thank u for ur quick reply I have used ur technique with and without -from , -fp , once and they all fail with unable to bind and no message in the logfile . I have produced the same errors on winXP and W2K . same thing . Old version 4.3 and 4.4 works fine no problem . is there a way to get a more diagnosting log . I suspect that there is a module locking some file which casses this error . The same error can be reproduced on V 4.3 & 4.4 if use the same port :X we get the same message faile to bind .

thks for ur help