RE: Mouse/keyboard emulation

Turn off NumLock.

From: "Mark Vovchuk" <Mark@DTSOFT.com>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Subject: Mouse/keyboard emulation
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:51:05 -0400

I have been trying to use Cygwin, at least in part, as an X server on
top of a Windows install to be able to execute programs from a UNIX
server and have them appear locally.  The application I have been
specifically attempting to do so with is Eclipse (motif for HP-UX).
Just about every other application that I have run has been able to take
keyboard and mouse input from the Windows machine with no problems.
However, when I run Eclipse, the Java based GUI will launch after a
short time, however it will be a dead screen with no ability to click,
move focus or execute any commands.  In this attempt, I also tried to
display a full Xwindows (CDE on HP-UX 11.0) session.  This did work once
I was able to sort out the X font server issue I encountered initially.
I was able to control the window when displaying the full X session.  My
boss was able to get it to work completely the way we wanted with
another product, however that was a demo of software that is far to
expensive for us to purchase.

This is what I tried to do concerning displaying only the application
remotely to my Windows desktop from the UNIX machine:

I started Cygwin
    Typed "startx" and hit return
    in the Xterm I typed "xhost +<remote server name>"
    in the Xterm I typed "xset +fp tcp/<remote server name>:7100 (the
port the font server is listening on)
    in the Xterm I opened an ssh session by typing "ssh -l <username>
<remote server name> and then entered the password when prompted
    When logged in to the remote server I cd'd into the directory for
eclipse and executed my script to launch it which consists of the path
to the eclipse executable and these arguments:

<path>/eclipse -vm /opt/java1.4/bin/java -vmargs
-XdoCloseWithReadPending

This would bring up the splash and the application would load, but as
stated above, not open.  I could open other X applications and have no
such issues.

Any assistance would be greatly helpful and valued.

Thank you, Mark

Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included with MSN Premium! http://join.msn.com/?page=features/mlb&pgmarket=en-us/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/