Re: x-windows won't start

no.  i hadn't tried the faq.  i didn't know that it existed.  should
have checked.  sorry.  however, after following the directions on it,
i found that the fonts were installed properly - mount pointed to a
proper location on my hard drive and there were about 450 files in the
misc subfolder.  so i tried something else.  i downloaded the fonts as
specified by the workaround from a different download site.  they
installed properly again.  startx still does not work, but Xinit does
work.  Xinit didn't work before either.  well, at least i can use x
now.  yeah!

if you are interested, the bad fonts were downloaded from:
http://sources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net

the good fonts (allowed Xinit to work but still not startx) were
downloaded from:
http://gnu.kookel.org

thanks for the help and let me know if you want more info.
--matt

[Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>]
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Matt Goto wrote:
>
> > hey-
> > i just finished installing cygwin on a windows xp home box.  i tried
> > starting x using the startx command and i got the following message:
> >
> > Welcome to the XWin X Server
> > Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> > Release: 6.7.0.0-9
> > [snip]
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> > winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
> > XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> >       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> >
> > i have attached the XWin.log and a screenshot (in png format) of the
> > error dialog that popped up.
> >
> > it seems like i might be missing some fonts, but i am no x whiz, so i
> > am not sure of that.  can you help me figure out what i need to do to
> > start up x-windows?  if you need additional info, please let me know
> > and i will try to get it to you.
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> > --matt goto
>
> Did you try the FAQ:
> <http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof>?
> 	Igor
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> "I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
> to the bathroom is a major career booster."  -- Patrick Naughton

--matt goto