Cygwin/X crashes when using -clipboard; Win95; switched from Gnometo KDE on linux

[In early June I switched from Gnome to KDE 3.2.2 for the X stuff -- at that point all Windows95<-->Cygwin/X copy/paste functionality ceased. Before this switch, we were using xwinclip and could copy/paste just fine from Cygwin/X/Gnome to/from Windows 95. Inquiring of this list, I was told to upgrade Cygwin/X and to use -clipboard. I have done so, but now Cygwin/X *crashes* when copy/pasting from Cygwin/X/KDE to Windows 95.]

I made a completely new install of Cygwin/X on 2004-06-26. New Cygwin setup.exe, etc., etc. I am thus using the Xorg stuff.

I am using Cygwin/X running on a Windows 95 PC to connect to a Linux RedHat 8 server and to display the various linux terminal screens, Mozilla running on linux, etc., etc. Also, from one of those KDE linux terminal screens, I launch terminal screens displaying shells running on an old SCO Unixware server.

My startxdmcp.bat command line is:
run XWin -query %REMOTE_HOST% -once -nodecoration -lesspointer -clipboard

In four hours of use, I have attempted copying from X programs to Windows 95 programs about 15 times. Cygwin/X has crashed about 7 times (i.e. in Windows 95 task manager, Cygwin says "Program not responding"). When there is a crash, there is no response from Cygwin and I have to End Task in Windows 95.

-- In a number of cases, I was able to copy/paste from various Cgwin/X/KDE programs (mozilla on linux, xterm/konsole text, etc.) to (and from) Windows two or three times (if I was quick) before Cygwin crashed. Those copy/pastes *were* succesful -- until Cygwin crashed.

-- In other cases, Cygwin crashed the instant that I did the copy. Most or all (?) of these cases were attempts to copy text from the old SCO Unixware server that is being displayed through the linux terminals being displayed via the Cygwin/X. (We *were* previously able to successfully do such copy/paste from the Gnome environment.)

-- In no case did Cygwin continue running for more than two or three minutes after doing a copy/paste to Windows 95.

-- Cygwin did seem to continue to run when doing a copy/paste *from* Windows95 *to* Cygwin/X/KDE.

-- I do not believe that any of my copy/paste tests involved any "special" or "foreign" characters. I believe that my tests were all with "normal" English characters. (I stopped testing before I got to testing with the Scandinavian characters, with which I do a lot.)

My Cygwin log appears to be pretty much normal (see below; it is hard to know what normal is -- there are things that fail) until the clipboard gets used and then the rest of the log is filled with perhaps 50 or 100 instances of:

  winClipboardErrorHandler -  Error:
  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

I believe that our Linux server is using iso-8859-1 character encoding. I am quite sure that the older SCO Unixware server is using something else (older).

======== Here is the error file content....

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-10

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -query 192.168.1.10 -once -nodecoration
-lesspointer -clipboard

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=250, rate=15
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(EE) Keyboardlayout "United States 101" (00000409) is unknown
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 640 495
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client until fourth call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client until fourth call.
winInitClipboard ()
winProcQueryTree - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows 95/98/Me
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard client already launched, returning.
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardErrorHandler - ERROR:
BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
winClipboardErrorHandler - ERROR:
BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
(Repeated perhaps 50 or 100 times.)