Re: SPMA: Re: Ofnsbxirw Ref1ll For Your Rx X.Anax 0rder 0vernite Shipping To Your D00r

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:40:55AM -0700, Don V Black wrote:
>It seems we have a new class of email abuser, maillist subscribers.
>Have maillists and the internet failed those of us who created it?
>
>We now need to either approve ALL posts, or provide a mechanism
>to qualify subscribers.  (I approve ALL posts that go to my society's
>maillists - too much work for one man)
>
>Perhaps a server that maintains a blacklist of abusers would work,
>with software that qualifies new subscribers against the blacklist?
>
>The Cygwin list is effectinve and has been useful to me.
>
>Please remove my email address from all the cygwin lists.
>I'll subscribe when I need specific help, or when Homeland
>Security recognizes the value of the Internet to American
>industry.

Let me clarify how things work.

If you want to unsubscribe from a mailing list, you don't send an
off-topic message to the mailing list.  You use the same mechanism for
unsubscribing that you used to subscribing.  Just go to the project's
web page and click on mailing lists link and the instructions there
should allow you to unsubscribe.

A few other points of clarification:

1) You seem to be under the impression that the originator of the junk
email was subscribed to the cygwin-xfree mailing list.  They were not.
Anyone can send email to the cygwin and cygwin-xfree mailing lists.
There are no restrictions.  That means that sometimes a spammer gets
through.  If you don't like it, then you have correctly come to the
conclusion that unsubscribing is your best option.

2) You have apparently done no research to see what kind of filtering is
already going on at the site which hosts this mailing list and you seem
to be under the assumption that all spam is going through unchecked.  We
block a very large amount of spam that goes to this list.  Sometimes some
gets through but the mailing list is actively monitored and abusers are
blocked based on a number of criteria.

3) The final clarification is that if you are serious about not liking
spam then don't do the spammer's work for them by resending their trash
to the mailing list.  It is safe to assume that no one wanted to see it
the first time so sending it again serves no useful purpose.

--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com