X server startup problem

Hello!

I've installed Cygwin on a Windows 98 system and have been attempting,
unsuccessfully, to start the X server.  The log file below shows what
happens: the X server thinks Windows is running with a display depth of
1 whereas in fact the display is running at 16 colors.  I've checked
and rechecked this in the Display settings in the control panel to make
absolutely sure.

Any idea how I might go about solving this problem?

Thanks very much.
-Ben Bullock

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-10

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin -multiwindow -clipboard

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 640 h 480
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more
information
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw not installed
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 1 bits per
pixel
winScreenInit - Unsupported display depth: 1
Change your Windows display depth to 15, 16, 24, or 32 bits per pixel.
winScreenInit - Supported depths: 8080c080

Fatal server error:
InitOutput - Couldn't add screen 0