Re: Does xinit do magic stuff?

On 23 Jul, To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com wrote:
>  I ask only to try to understand.  I think the correct fix is to use
>  xinit.

The new script seems to work completely reliably.  I'm still interested
in xinit's magic, though.  :-)

luke

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start up X.  Allow XSERVER_ARGS to define args to pass to the X server.
#
# Author: Luke Kendall
#

MYNAME=`basename $0`
USAGE="$MYNAME
    This will start X (by running $HOME/.xserverrc if that file exists),
    otherwise by running xinit -- \$XSERVER_ARGS.
    An example of the (optional) ~/.xserverrc file:
	xinit -- \$XSERVER_ARGS
    The default window manager is wmaker; use \$WINDOWMANAGER to override."

#
# Process the command line arguments.
# Of which there are none, presently.
#
if [ $# != 0 ]
then
    echo "Usage: $USAGE" >&2
    exit 1
fi

#
# If the user has a .xserverrc, use that instead of the default, which is to
# run "xinit -- $XSERVER_ARGS".
# XSERVER_ARGS are defined in /etc/profile.d/cisra.sh
#
if [ -f $HOME/.xserverrc ]
then
    $HOME/.xserverrc    &
else
    xinit -- $XSERVER_ARGS  &
fi > /tmp/XWin.xlog.$USER 2>&1 # Collect all the ugly output
echo "Please see /tmp/XWin.xlog.$USER for extra X11 startup output"