Re: How do I delete old cygwin directories on W2K?

I think Linux will not honour Windows permissions, so you can try mounting the partition in Linux.

- Alexey.

Don V Black wrote:

Hi Again -

I have a couple of backup CYGWIN directories on my hard drive
that I cannot remove even when I logon as "Administrator".

I had a disk crash and was forced to restore the W2K system
onto a new harddrive.  I used the old drive (120GB) as a data
disk. The old drive contains the old CYGWIN directories which
I now cannot delete.

Windows Explorer displays the properties of these directories.
I cannot change the READ-ONLY status of the "Shorcuts" in
these directories.
The 'security' allows read and or execute only, no write, modify
or delete.  The owner is "S-1-5-21-184423 ... "

I can take ownership of the directories, but not of the 'Shortcut's
within the directories. I get the message
"You only have permission to view the current security information on <filename>"

Note that I can only view, not change any security. It seems that "S-1-5-21-1844 ... "
is the owner of the 'Shortcuts'.

How do I delete these directories?

 - Kind Regards,
   Don

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + Join the Pros at your IEEE Computer Society http://www.IEEE-OCCS.org

Digital ChoreoGraphics       http://www.dcgfx.com
3D Visualization Software    Design & Development
1-949-548-1969                 dcg02@softcafe.net