Re: Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> I have installed Cygwin/X on Windows2000 to establish a remote session
> via XDMCP and by using a direct query to a Solaris7/CDE host and to a
> Linux/SJDS/Gnome host (Sun Java Desktop System R2 based on SLD/SLES8).
> The Windows PC use DHCP via ISP/ADSL (that is no fixed IP to set up).
> I have disabled the local Zone alarm firewall on Windows, and run a VPN
> client software locally to connect to/through the remote, corporate
> firewall router and network using NAT.

XDMCP does not work with NAT. use ssh with X11Forwarding instead.

Well, I don't have an ssh server installed or available neither on the Solaris or the Linkux host.
And the only connection is through the desribed VPN tunnel and router/firewall.
Therefore I tried wihthout ssh as follows (which I believe also is secure over a VPN tunnel):

On Windows:
startxin
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost remote_solaris_host
rlogin remote_host
setenv DISPLAY local_win_ip
xterm&

But still I got the error: Can't open display local_win_ip !?

And what about my previous larger font question 2) ?

Regards,

Terje J. Hanssen