Re: Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> >> "hostname" or "hostname +" ?
> >
> >$ cat /etc/X0.hosts
> >localhost
> >

> Sorry, I don't understand the contain 'localhost'. Shouldn't
> "/etc/X0.hosts" contain hostnames or ip's of the remote hosts (xdm, gdm,
> dtlogin or kdm) that should be allowed to access the local Cygwin/X server?

I'm using xdmcp regularily which prevents local applications to access
the screen (becuase only remote access is allowed then). That's why I've
added localhost to the list of hosts which may always connect.

> >> Does Cygwin/X also need or use a user based auhentication?
> >
> >There are several authentication mechanisms. The host based and a
> >ticket based. The hostbased is configured with xhost, /etc/X0.hosts
> >and the ticket based with xauth
> >

> And is Xauth neccessary to use on Cygwin/X to be able to do a remote
> login on Solaris that use it?

xauth is used automaticly. You don't have to mess with it unless you do
some special things.

you're problem is most likely

- your local host has ip xyz.
- the remote host does not know how to connect to xyz since xyz is on
  another network and only accessible via host pvq.

There is no simple solution to get xdmcp working here. That's why I
suggested ssh. Installing and starting ssh should be quite simple.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de