Re: need GUI connect-to-host client

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:52:24 -0400
"Thomas Chadwick" <j_tetazoo@hotmail.com> threw this fish to the penguins:

> I'd think a perfectly acceptable solution would be to create individual
> Windows shortcuts that run the types of clients you're talking about.
>
> For instance, if you put the following in a Windows shortcut, it will use
> rsh to launch "xclient" on "remotehost" and redirect it back to the XWin
> server on "localhost" (of course, you'll want to make sure you've started
> XWin before running this shortcut):
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\rsh.exe remotehost "xclient -display localhost:0"
>
> Also, this assumes you've set up rsh properly (consult "man rsh" on
> remotehost for guidance).
Rsh won't really do it, see below.
> If you want to eliminate the empty command-prompt window that results from
> the above shortcut, use run.exe thus:
>
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /bin/rsh remotehost "xclient -display
> localhost:0"
>
> However, in order for this to work, you'll have to add C:\cygwin\bin to your
> Windows path, otherwise it'll complain that it can't find "cygwin1.dll'.
> [Alternatively, you can just copy "run.exe" from c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin to
> c:\cygwin\bin]

Very interesting; I did not know one could do such things with
shortcuts.  Unfortunately, we routinely have multiple users connecting
from any given PC, so one must specify username and password on each
invocation.  I don't think this can be done without some local X (or
windows?) GUI client that collects username/password and stuffs it
into an rexec command.  Am I missing something?  There's an "Xdialog"
that might do the trick, but it doesn't seem to come with the cygwin
installer...  I'll look further.  Thanks,
-- George
--
"Are the gods not just?"  "Oh no, child.
What would become of us if they were?" (CSL)