Re: Cygwin/X and loggin on remote server

Jani Tiainen wrote:
Jani Tiainen wrote:

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Jani Tiainen wrote:

I've used cygwin/x to use remote wm and tools for a long time, and I use connection via SSH tunnel since connection between machines are not secured.

Now I would like to provide more generic way to login on remote machine, I can do this with startxwin.bat but I want to close initial _local_ xterm used to get login & password prompt after it has fired up session... How can be this done...?

start xterm like this:
xterm -e "ssh -f -Y remotehost .xsession && exit"

or (simulating xdm login)
xterm -e "ssh -f -Y remotehost /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome && exit"

instead of "gnome" you can use kde, kde2 or whatever window managers are configured on the system.

If you omit the "&& exit" the xterm will stay

wow, my bug was that I omited "-f" from ssh switches and "&& exit", I tried & (single) and it always failed with error... =)

Now it works. Thank you very much, now I can use my desktop as single click X-terminal.

I also tried to run XDM but always got "only root would run" message...

Actually this doesn't work.

I use following line (using startxwin.bat):

run xterm -ms red -fg white -bg black -e "/usr/bin/ssh -f -Y -p 22022 myaccount@my.ip.com xterm && exit"

But initial xterm window stays, even you can't write anything in it...

Actually it started to work after I changed to use it script that puts everything in background...

Strange is that but now "everything" works as supposed... Well only if I could have nice graphical login to my server...

--

Jani Tiainen