Re: xorg installation fails, 99% complete only

Carlo Florendo wrote:

Hello Cygwin/XFree gurus,

I've installed cygwin on a WinXP SP2 machine and setup looped forever up to the point when it was post-installing the xorg applications. I got 99% done.

This issue has been discussed last week only as started by these 2 separate threads of messages:

However, the issue has not been resolved.

Then, I uninstalled everything and re-installed cygwin any *without* selecting anything from the X11 category. All went well!

Then, I just thought of installing the X apps manually.

The front page of the cygwin/xfree website says that:

"Cygwin/X is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe and the installation process is documented in the Cygwin/X User's Guide. Whether or not you already have Cygwin installed, you can add Cygwin/X to your installation by downloading the latest setup.exe, running setup, and selecting the 'xorg-x11-base' package from the 'X11' category."

However, selecting only the xorg-x11-base package would install only:

  /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-base-6.8.1.0.README
  /etc/profile.d/00xorg-x11-base.csh
  /etc/profile.d/00xorg-x11-base.sh

Thus, it would probably be better to update the main page such that it wouldn't be misleading. (Other users might think only xorg-X11-base should be installed since that is what the website says.)

The README file contains the needed package dependencies so once could follow from that. However, not everyone reads the README.

You may want to add something like this after the paragraph quoted above:

"Once you have installed the 'xorg-x11-base' package, open your /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-base-<version_number>.README
file and install (via setup) the package dependencies listed there."

In any case, any hints on why installing xorg fails?

Please include me on the cc since I do not subscribe to the cygwin/xfree list. Thanks!

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo
--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

Don't install Xorg. that is what Hanu told me.