Re: xorg installation fails, 99% complete only

Gerrit P. Haase <gp <at> familiehaase.de> writes:

> Bobby McNulty wrote:
>
> > OK Chris, here it is. The full report. Complete down to the readme file
> > that it is hanging at.
> > Cygwin setup is at 97%
> > it says install xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0-2
> > /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README
> >
> > its in a contiuous loop, not gettiing past this point.
>
> In a different posting it was said that it is the fontserver package,
> this is a different package.  How should we debug this problem without
> correct information?

I'm not sure what different posting you're referring to. Maybe they all provide
correct information and maybe they are two or more different problems?

> This is the first posting I see about this issue where I read a detailed
> description, all the others I read (maybe I have not seen all of them)
> were about some readme file, fontserver..., nothing useful.
>
> I just reinstalled this xorg-x11-fscl package now, it works fine on NT4
> AND it works fine on XP/SP2.
>
> $ cygcheck -c xorg-x11-fscl
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> xorg-x11-fscl        6.8.1.0-2      OK

Did you use setup.exe? Did you reinstall to and existing package? This problem
(the one by Bobby which you replied to above) occurs when you install Cygwin on
a fresh XP using setup.exe .

Please read all these posts. They are exactly the same problem (but maybe with
different warning/error msgs and/or different posting styles):

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00081.html [Bobby's, 03/11]
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00166.html [Ling's, 04/11]
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00167.html [Bobby's, 04/11]
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00246.html [Ling's, 06/11]
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00253.html [Mine, 06/11]
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00335.html [Carlo's, 09/11]

> Why don't you send the output of cygcheck -srv as an attachment?

I wish we could do that before or while running setup.exe .

> Maybe your mount table is broken?  Maybe your XP/SP2 is broken?

3-4 people have been reporting this problem. Maybe their XP all are broken.

> Why are you not providing more information?

Problem is users don't know what "more information" develpers want. Developers
got to ask (or demand, whatever) from users.

> You cannot expect that we
> can fix a problem which we don't have, I cannot help debugging it
> without even seeing the problem.

Again, 3-4 people having the same problem should be enough to confirm that there
really is a problem.

> Gerrit

Is there any way users can turn on debugging mode when running setup.exe? Things
would be a lot easier if users could do so.