Re: xorg installation fails, 99% complete only

Christopher,

I'm not understanding really well what to do (you know my proficiency in english is not so perfect as to understand really everything). I understand that you think that to open for writing a name where the directory do no exist could provoke problems. It would explain the non blocking exception (am I right ?) that occurs and loops indefinitely (is it what you think ?). What of the fact that the error occurs only after being able to write a given number of file in this directory (around ten files where created) ? what of the fact that when you do not install only one file before (like cron) you are able to write one more file in this directory ? I'm not sufficiently proficient in the cygwin coding to answer these questions.

So my work is to begin a new complete install with the new packages. Do I have to reload all of them ? only xorg related packages ?

What I intend to do is begin again the first test described under with the reloaded x11 files. Is it what you want ?

To summarize what I did when testing and the problems I saw (I do that not only for repeating but also to have all the datas on only one mail)

1/ complete test

I have a local version of all the cygwin distro (got at mirrors.sunsite.dk)
I begin by deleting my cygwin root on the disk but not the entries of the registry
I launch setup selecting everything

Arriving at the file:

/usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README

setup enters a loop delivering the log message one after the other indefintely (view through ollydbg)

LOG : 1 Installing file cygfile:///usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README for writing
LOG : 2 failed too open cygfile:///usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README for writing

The second message is issued through an exception

You can see two things increasing with the same speed, the memory consumed and the handlers.
when cancelled, the message issued by setup is

"cannot open log file c:\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing"

another box opens but disappear too fast for me to give you the message

With this test, no setup.log is created at all

This test has been conducted with these different changes:

I changed the rights of the /var directory with chmod a+w with no effect (because of the absence of setup)
I changed the TEMP and TMP variables values (erasing blanks of the names)

2/ successive setup

I conducted a first setup without X11 and a second with only X11 .It worked fine with setup.log created

3/ complete test with one file (cron) not installed

The behaviour is exactly the same as in first test with only the file on which it stopped as a difference. That is t loops on the next file to write:

xorg-x11-fsrv-6.8.1.0.README

Well, perhaps I forgot something but no one is perfect :-)

Bruno