Re: X11/Xlib.h missing

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 04:35:01PM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote on Friday, November 12, 2004 4:27 PM:
>
>[snip]
>
>>> So, the solution is "try again".
>>
>> Just one more bit of data: I rectified the problem at
>> ~12:30AM EST 2004-10-11 so the new packages should be on most
>> mirrors soon if they are not there already.
>>
>> Apologies for the inconvenience I caused.
>
>No problem, as long as there is at least an explanation for weird
>behaviour.  :)

I spent way too long last night trying to figure out why *I* couldn't
install X anymore.  I could see the setup.exe messages flashing by as it
was "installing" the xorg packages but, when I was done, only some
things from X were installed.  If I unpacked the tar.bz2 files by hand
then I got everything I expected.  It took about an hour for a "Oh.
Wait a minute." reaction to kick in.

The problem with the tar files was that I'd used the -o option to tar
when creating the tar files.  This creates smaller tar files but
apparently setup.exe doesn't like the old style tar format.

Anyway, I'm just operating on a hunch here but I'll be REALLY interested
to hear if this repackaging fixes the problems that people were seeing.
If it does, I'll look into the setup code to see why that is.

cgf