Re: Not able to Get a Remote Machine after export of display

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Krishna Bhushan K wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is regarding a problem faced while using Cygwin.
> I am not able to open Xterm from a remote machine
> after setting the remote
> DISPLAY variable to the local one.
>
> Following are the entries in my startxdmcp.bat:
>
> SET DISPLAY=223.221.113.105:0.0 (Local display)
> SET REMOTE_HOST=ipshp071
> start XWin -kb -query %REMOTE_HOST% -notrayicon
> -emulate3buttons -clipboard -unixkill -lesspointer
>
> After i logon to this machine, I telnet to a remote
> machine. set the DISPLAY variable there to
> 223.221.113.105:0.0. open a xterm using Xterm&. It
> says "Per display information not found".
>
> Is there any problem with the above entries?
> Could anyone please suggest a solution to this
> problem.

The xserver has an authorization system (man Xsecurity) which
prevents connections from any other host. To allow this
use xhost <hostname> to allow hostname access or the better
and much sure variant: use ssh with X11Forwarding. This tunnels
all X11 traffic through the encrypted ssh channel and takes care
of access restrictions.

bye
	ago
--