Looking for OpenGL "hello world"

Trying to get cygwin working to practice writing OpenGL code, but ready to throw in the towel. As usual, I'm having Win OS based problems that are chewing up massive amounts of time. I'd be better off ordering a new computer and installing Redhat myself I think, although finding an OpenGL "hello.c" program in their docs isn't a piece of cake either.

If anyone can point me towards some links, tutorials, etc. I can't see the forest through the trees. Too much info, most of which is out of date.

Thanks!!