RE: xterm

not 100% on topic, but this may help.

if you want to know if you have something installed
from one of the cygwin packages, try the attached script.
it will search through all installed packages and
look for the name you supply, e.g.

whichpackage xterm.exe

gives (on my machine):
------- xterm
/usr/bin/xterm.exe

so it's installed in a package called "xterm" and installed to
/usr/bin.

in your case it would have come up with no results, which
indicates the application isn't installed from any package.
at which point, it's usually worth looking through all the
available packages in setup.

this is similar to "cygcheck -f /usr/bin/xterm"
but you can use search patterns and don't need to know
where the file you are searching on is installed
(because "cygcheck -f xterm" doesn't work, but then
you could use locate first. as always there are a
zillion ways to achieve the same tricks)

hth,
mark